Project Title: Empower Society for Strengthening Good Governance
Project Funded: International Visegrad Fund, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
Grant Number: 21650161
Project Budget: EUR 49,670
Project Duration: March 1, 2017 – May 31, 2018
Despite some progress over the past few years, standards of good governance, open data and accountability of government still remain a challenge for Georgia. Open data available at government portal - www.data.gov.ge does not match with the actual open data resources available at public institutions. Even the datasets, that are available, are not used sufficiently for mobile applications, public monitoring, data visualizations, creating stories, raising awareness, providing services, etc. Journalists, activists as well as society in general do not have enough skills and knowledge on how to use open data. In addition, in most cases, public information is not provided in machine-readable format and is instead disclosed in paper or scanned form. This limits opportunities for the public to properly perform its watchdog function.
Main project objective
Empower the Georgian public to effectively monitor and control the government as well as increase the level of openness and accountability of the Georgian government.
Specific project objectives
- Encourage use of open data and data visualization for monitoring government activities/spending among activists, journalists through establishment of an interactive platform containing hundreds of datasets.
- Improve cooperation between different groups of Georgian society (journalists, CSO representatives, activists, students, etc.) in their watchdog activities.
- Enhance standards of proactive disclosure of open data in Georgia through sharing the experience and practice of European countries.
Outputs/Deliverables: Products or Events
1. FOI requests and received public data from several Georgian government institutions
2. Establishment of the platform
3. Creating and publishing data sets
4. Consultations with partners from V4 countries on data visualization
8. Video about the platform
9. Data visualizations
10. Preparing publication
11. Presentation of the platform
12. Essay contest
13. Final presentation
Why EITI-OGP Synergy Matters for Georgia28.01.2020
Presentation of the Report on Institutional and Legal Framework of the Supreme Court of Georgia23.01.2020
CSOs call on the State Inspector to Petition the Prosecutor’s Office to Relinquish Tsurtsumia’s Case to Her Office09.01.2020
Emergency Joint Statement by NGOs20.12.2019
Emergency Joint Statement by NGOs14.11.2019
Selection of Supreme Court Judge Candidates: What people in Georgia know and think about the process21.10.2019