Project Title: Ensuring Legal Safeguards for Digital Rights in Georgia
Donor Organization: Counterpart International
Project Contract Number:AID-OAA-LA-11-00008
Total Budget: 110,695 GEL (34,964 USD)
Duration of the Project: April 15-August 28, 2020
Internet is regarded as free in Georgia. According to the Freedom House recent reports, the Internet has been free since 2012. However, blocking of international platforms such as Wordpress and Youtube in 2016, as well as recent suggested controversial amendments to the Law of Georgia “on Information Security” demonstrate the need for engagement of civil society in ensuring legal safeguards for Internet freedoms. Despite emerging security risks, it is important to find an accurate balance between security and digital freedoms, especially for Georgia which lacks sufficient civic oversight mechanisms over law enforcement bodies and where independence of judiciary is still questionable.
It is incremental to ensure that civil society perspective is adequately reflected and considered while modifying Georgia’s information security system and legislation. Taking into account best international practices and local challenges in terms of digital freedoms and information security are also important in this process.
Major goal is to ensure and strengthen safeguards and digital freedoms on the legislative level in Georgia.
To this end, the project has the following objectives:
- Find an accurate balance between digital freedoms and security;
- Identify major challenges and problems relevant for Georgia in this regard;
- Consider international practice and international standards in this regard;
- Propose and promote/advocate alternative version of information security system/legal framework proposed by the government.
In order to achieve the above-mentioned objectives, IDFI will implement the following activities:
1. Study of international practice/standards on cybersecurity environment, legal framework and institutional arrangement
2. Working on policy recommendations
3. Meetings with decision-makers and representatives of all relevant public institutions
4. Final conference
5. International expert and IDFI meeting with decision-makers
IDFI Held a Meeting with the Youth of Gori- Falsified History and Triumphant May 9: History and Modernity17.05.2022
NGOs urge the government to provide argumentation for refusing publicizing answers to EU questionnaire02.05.2022
Celebrating May 9 in Russia02.05.2022