The Coalition for Media Advocacy is closely following the selection process of the Georgian Public Broadcaster (GPB) director. It is essential for this process to be conducted in a transparent manner, so that no questions remain about its objectivity.
The GPB and the Adjara Public Broadcaster have a positive experience with conducting live interviews between the Board of Trustees and candidates for high level positions. Previously, the public was given the opportunity to compare candidates by holding televised debated between them, streaming interviews, and disclosing their applications. The transparency of the selection criteria and the assessment methodology was also ensured. However, the above is no longer the case this time around.
For this reason, we call on the Board of Trustees to consider the high public interest towards the process of selecting the GPB director and ensure openness and transparency of this process.
Coalition member organizations:
1. Media Club
2. Georgian Charter of Journalistic Ethics
3. Institute for Development of Freedom of Information
4. Open Society Georgia Foundation
5. Georgian Association of Regional Broadcasters
6. Civil Development Institute
7. Non-Governmental Organization “For Civil Society”
8. The Levan Mikeladze Foundation
9. Georgian Regional Media Association
10. Georgian Young Lawyers’ Association
11. Georgian Association of Small and Medium Telecommunications Operators
12. Media Development Foundation
13. Television Network
Regulating Inadmissible Content – What does the Constitutional Court decision of 2 August 2019 Change09.08.2019
Statement of NGOs on the Charges Made Against former Director-General of Rustavi 2, Nika Gvaramia09.08.2019
Sentencing Zviad Kuprava to Imprisonment Is a Dangerous Precedent of Restricting Freedom of Expression02.08.2019
Georgian Civil Society Addresses to the International Organizations in regard to the Recent Developments around Rustavi 2 TV24.07.2019