On December 9-14, 2021 IDFI’s Winter School "Rule of Law and Human Rights" was held. The aim of the school was to enhance students' knowledge of the rule of law and human rights, to encourage discussions on problematic issues, to exchange views and to strengthen democratic values.
The 2nd, 3rd and 4th-year law school students of the universities authorized in Georgia participated in the winter school.
The following important issues were discussed within the scope of the school by the field experts: the principle of separation of powers, constitutional control and litigation, the independence of the judiciary, open governance and accountability of the government, freedom of information, the right to private and family life, the role of the Public Defender and the State Inspector’s service, freedom of expression.
The speakers of the Winter School were:
1. Konstantine Korkelia - Professor of International Human Rights Law at the Tbilisi State University.
2. Nana Chighladze - Professor of the Faculty of Law at the Tbilisi State University.
3. Davit Jandieri - Doctor of Law, Professor.
4. Levan Avalishvili – IDFI’s Programs Director.
5. Giorgi Burjanadze - Deputy Public Defender of Georgia.
6. Ekaterine Skhiladze - Deputy Public Defender of Georgia.
7. Ketevan Kukava – Head of Rule of Law and Human Rights Direction at IDFI.
8. Paata Turava - Professor of the Faculty of Law at the Tbilisi State University.
9. Salome Bakhsoliani - Deputy State Inspector of Georgia.
10. Giorgi Gamezardashvili - Deputy State Inspector of Georgia.
11. Ana Chiabrishvili - Project Manager at IDFI.
12. Davit Maisuradze – Head of Open Governance Direction at IDFI.
At the end of the event, the participants of the winter school selected the best students - Irakli Managadze and Ayhan Gasanov, while IDFI named Mariam Grigolishvili, Nika Maghedani and Kristina Kistashvili as outstanding students.
A winter school program is available here.
The photo gallery of Winter School’s closing ceremony can be found here.
The winter school was held with the support of the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, Sida.
Modern Russian disinformation - IDFI held an informational meeting in Marneuli American Corner11.05.2022
Free Legal Aid for Media and Journalists11.05.2022
NGOs urge the government to provide argumentation for refusing publicizing answers to EU questionnaire02.05.2022
Celebrating May 9 in Russia02.05.2022