We, the signatory organizations, wish to comment once again on the extremely serious health condition of the third president of Georgia, Mikheil Saakashvili.
As we have stated repeatedly, the extreme deterioration of Saakashvili’s condition has been recorded in the medical examination’s conclusions and by the Public Defender’s special council. According to the public defender, there are grounds for postponing the sentence and his treatment is possible only in a multi-specialty clinic. This was confirmed by the witnesses who testified in a trial, namely:
- According to the statement of the American toxicologist, David Smith, Saakashvili is being treated incorrectly and he needs detoxification with chelation therapy;
- James Kobe listed Saakashvili’s diagnoses and noted that in case of delay of the treatment, he would lose the ability to move;
- Tamar Abashidze, a neurologist at the “Vivamed” clinic, stated that Saakashvili’s neurological condition has deteriorated significantly in recent months.
The extreme deterioration of Mikheil Saakashvili’s health condition is obvious from medical reports and expert testimony. Further worsening of his health and the occurrence of a possibly fatal outcome will lead to the gravest violation of human rights, which, in turn, will cause irreparable damage to the country’s reputation.
In view of this, we call on the court to take into account the conclusions of specialists in the field and to make a decision in accordance with human rights standards as soon as possible.
We also call on the international community to use all the means at their disposal to prevent irreparable damage to human life and health and the political collapse of the Georgian state.
- Open Society Georgia Foundation
- Georgian Democracy Initiative
- Governance Monitoring Center
- Economic Policy Research Center
- Media Development Foundation
- Transparency International Georgia
- Partnership for Human Rights
- Georgian Court Watch
- International Society for Fair Elections and Democracy
- Prevention for progress
- Tolerance and Diversity Institute
- Rights Georgia
- Georgian Young Lawyers’ Association
- Democracy Research Institute
- The Georgian Center for Psychosocial and Medical Rehabilitation of Torture Victims
- Social Justice Center
- Human Rights Center
- The Institute for Development of Freedom of Information
- Prevention For Progress
- Green Alternative
Access to Public Information in Georgia 202210.03.2023
The IDFI recently organized a public lecture and a film screening as part of the week commemorating the Soviet occupation01.03.2023
Statement of Civil Society Organizations on Suspending Membership in the Consultative Group of the Parliament of Georgia10.03.2023
Russian Law is not the will of Georgia21.02.2023
Soviet Roots of Anti-Western Propaganda20.12.2022